Thursday 8 August 2013

Face Up to Summer!

Fotor080720347
Summer brings, for me at least, a laissez-faire attitude to make up. Minimal and light always appears to  be more fitting when the sun is out and my wardrobe is comprised of pastels presenting the opportunity to embrace my inner Diaz. I often opt for one of the ever growing options of bb creams from the high-street. As John Geddes says, “…summer softens lines that winter cruelly shows…”. Well with 20 something skin the case is less that summer soften the lines and more of the case of it softening blemishes. Something about that extra does of  vitamin D , seems to agree with most temperamental skin.  That being said on those certain special occasions, which always involve me breaking free of the field and hauling myself away from the real housewives of Beverly Hills, I like to be slightly more polished. Whilst I would never claim to achieve flawless, I can achieve enriched … just not to the same extent as those housewives.
My ‘ever slightly refined face list’ is always comprised of: Foundation, Concealer, Powder, Bronzer, Blush and Highlighter. Whilst this may sound like a product when applied in moderation it can give a light look. All of which featured in my products consistently at my fingertips.
I begin with my favourite summer and spring foundation of the year, Bourjois healthy mix foundation. I prefer the slightly heavier coverage than its sister product the healthy mix gel serum, even if it is summer. I have been crushing on this product for months as it gives a real glow to the skin without being too much. Its light, natural looking and I actually think has improved my skin underneath.  Applied with the much acclaimed real techniques buffing brush, it covers and blends in mere minuets.
Fotor080719381Fotor0807123845
Then I follow this up with under eye concealer. There are many things I would love to change about myself and almost at the top of that list is the purple bags under my eyes; built up from far too many all night study sessions. As a result high end heavy duty concealer is always a corner stone in my make up bag! Fake it by Benefit. It slides on effortlessly and can be layered up to give industrial level coverage.
Fotor080712596Fotor0807125539
Rather than swiping it under my eyes I place it all along the lower lash line in vertical lines. I find this the best way to get maximum concealment whilst having no obvious dichotomy between my foundation and concealer. To blend it in I use a Beauty Blender, using a patting motion along the lines and then a swishing motion for one final blend. Then I set with whatever powder I have to hand.
Fotor0807125954
My favourite thing to ever discover in terms of make up is contouring and this love story only increased in wonder when I purchased Chanel’s Sol de Tan. A cream-gel bronzer which melts in to the skin, it is bliss. I used to apply it with a M.A.C contouring brush (168) but I now prefer the smaller domed shape of the Real Techniques contour brush, it reaches in to hollows much better and therefore gives a more natural, blended contour. I apply it under my cheekbones, temples and jawline. I take it 3/4 of the way down my cheekbone and keep most of the colour further back. The picture of it below is it pre blending!
Fotor0807124241Fotor0807124646
To add some colour and balance out the glow and bronze, I apply a blush above the contour line on my cheekbone.  My current go to being peachy keen by M.A.C its bright and playful. Applied with a sigma stippling blush brush. I add a little to the apples of my cheeks but keep colour about 2 fingers width away from from the edge of my nose.
Fotor0807124943 Fotor080713017
To round off the look I add some highlighter on the highest points of my cheekbones and under my brows. I like a cream based highlighter rather than a powder. I find powder highlighters often too glittery and artificial looking. Here I used Watts up.
Fotor0807130251
Thats my summer face routine complete. It takes about 8 minutes but is oh so worth it. So I shall leave you with a picture of me looking slightly like a sloth but a sloth with improved skin!
SAMSUNG CSC
Love Livs xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment