Sunday 4 August 2013

The lists. The life. The loves… of a girl called Livs.



“The beginning is the most important part of the work.”
― Plato, The Republic

But how does one introduce themselves to their blog?!? How do you sum up everything you could possibly want to say in a introduction? How do you say ‘Hi, this is me and by the end of this post you will totally know my being and my soul?’

Well I suppose you just don’t, but keeping in accord with my usual life, I had to begin with a list.

*Who am I?- I’m Livs! 

-I’m a 19 year old university student, who has wanted to do a blog for forever and a day but never really felt she had the time or confidence to do one. However,  after being uprooted from an idyllic seaside town in the South and placed in, quite literarily, a field, up North the lack of phone signal and being the owner of a postcode where ASOS don’t deliver,  the impulse to connect with civilisation provided enough motivation to start a blog. Well that and a growing addiction to SATC, leading me to the delusional belief that I am Carrie Bradshaw  (whatever her soul is made of hers and mine are the same, or at least the same love of shoes and vintage)   … but, if writing this introduction has taught me (let alone you) anything it is that I am no Bradshaw. More basics…  Im currently at Cambridge Uni and have just finished my fresher year complete with the fresher 15, an over inflated opinion of my own maturity and some massive dreams. Oh and an every growing sense that I haven’t done enough yet, that I should of done more and that i’m never going to settle in life, but apparently thats all normal for a 19 year old. There is loads more that makes up me, well you would hope so, but that can wait.

*What do I love? – Make up, Make up, Make up … and lists.

-I love make up, a cliche with no real impact but its true. Whilst ASOS may not deliver, Birchbox still do and that little pink package of joy is the highlight of my month despite what tampax may advertise. Like so many teenage beauty junkies I have read hundreds of  books and magazines, watched 1000s of you tube videos and played with make up on anyone who will let me. Whilst i’m no professional, I would humbly like to suggest I know quite a decent amount and there is nothing I would like more then to discuss products, styles and looks with others. Why be on the outside of a community when you can be in it? Constantly inspired by my favourite Catcher in the rye quote “If a girl looks swell when she meets you, who gives a damn if she’s late?”, I will always sit at my vanity that little bit longer. That being said I sit at the vanity putting alot of effort in to looking fairly mediocre but ‘meh’ Salinger’s sentiment stays the same.

-Then theres the lists, I would say I make about 10 lists a day. I just love them and have books of  lists for things like my morning make up routine (modified daily), lists for my goals (daily, weekly, monthly, life’ly’), shopping lists, wish lists and even lists of list I should make.  Whilst this may sound a tad neurotic its actually great because I can look back and document most of my teenage years through lists and some times the subtexts of these lists provide more incite than a diary extract. The changes in goals or even the way I do my hair can say something for the relationships I was forming at the time, the person I was aspiring to be. That and lists keep me calm.

*Why now? -There are one hundred and eighty days till I turn 20.

-In one hundred and eight days my teenage dream years shall be behind me; it was this very thought that prompted a ‘quarter life crisis.’ Starting a beauty and lifestyle blog has been on several lists for about two years and if your not going to do it during an underwhelming ’quarter life crisis’ then when are you?

*Blog what? Well I was thinking all I really can offer is me, me and my life.

-I want to share with you; the loves the lists, the lessons, and the life of me. I shall probably blog alot on make up because well make up is a massive part of my day. If i was reduce my current life to, you guessed it, a list it probably should be this: Makeup, reading, baking, shopping, philosophy, decorating, philosophising life and self evaluation.

Im not an expert on anything and I most defiantly haven’t got my life together or sorted to any reasonable level to offer wisdom, but if i just blog my musings and thoughts on, well whatever. Then maybe someone somewhere will empathise and get it and then ‘boom’, a girl surrounded by lists and make up brushes, sat in a filed alone doesn’t feel  lonely.

*wrap it up already.

-I really hope the beginning is not the most important part of the works, as this was not all that good. I shall only hope practice makes perfect and that I can get some form of voice from this point on. Like everything iv’e probably been that bit too keen and tried that bit too much. You have probably ended this introduction with a first impression that screams: “I have no idea who this girl thinks she is, or what she’s about, or even what this blog is about” But please stick with it as i’m pretty sure things will improve seeing as ‘things to improve on this blog’ list is now a page long! So I shall leave you with this ...




Love Livs xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment